Trilifegear.com

Trilifegear.com
Your Triathlon Headquarters

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mon/Tues may 17/18

Mon- pm bike ride easy- 23mi, 90min....

pm swim- 5k total...yes! breakthrough! main set was 4x300 on the 3:45 interval (3:28, 3:32, 3:38, 3:38)...also 16x50 on the 40 sec interval....there was a few guy college swimmers in my lane and I had to really get going to not get lapped =) ....this was soooo helpful though, I dont think I have ever done a 300 with 1:09 splits! really excited...I couldnt even do 1:09 for 100 a few months ago...I was starting to get discouraged with my inferior swimming and wondering if I can really be fast enough to make an ITU switch and tonight was very encouraging...finally seeing some of the last 3 weeks of lots of swimming pay off! I just need to keep going for another year with this swim volume...yikes!...seriously though- the lesson I got from this was swim with people much faster than you!

Tues- pm track workout...6x600 all 1:59 or 2:00...probably need to be doing a lot more reps but I went to a group trackworkout tonight....also I havent really done any speed yet so I thought it was ok to start with just a few repeats....I'll definately have to do another running workout this week though...Also at the track workout- I met Jill Savage, she is Jordan Rapp's wife and super cool former olympian triathlete! she gave me some great advice and hopefully we will be meeting up for runs here so I can get some more help and inspiration! crazy!

pm swim- 2.5k total: 400 stroke per distance (<17 strokes/length), 2x200 stroke/dis (<16), 4x100 (<15), 8x50 drill.....I am finding the stroke per distance stuff helpful I think...I think it is good for triathletes particularly without a strong swim background because we tend to think higher tempo in the pool means you go faster- which isnt true if you dont have a good distance gain with each stroke....almost every triathlete I know really needs to do distance/stroke work (I think?!?- but then again, i am not really an authority!=) )

4 comments:

  1. I heard that if you're doing less than 17 strokes/length then you might get swimmers elbow. It's supposedly like tennis elbow with more water involved. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks saul!! i just figured out how to read my comments! hope you guys are doing well...maybe we can do some babysitting for you guys when i get back! are you serious about the swimmming elbow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I told you those swim workouts would get harder. :-) I'm glad you didn't give up on us and I'm really glad it's working out for you. This is a great place to train, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swimmers elbow is no laughing matter. It's like swimmers itch and tennis elbow combined.

    ReplyDelete